View from the Atomium, south
Looking down Boulevard du Centennaire, so named in 1930 to commemorate Belgian secession from the Netherlands. It was created for a world exhibition that ended up taking place in 1935—the 1958 Expo happened on the same site.
The big roundabout is called Place Louis Steens, named after an important and well-respected Brussels civil servant who had recently passed away. It was originally a pool with a fountain, but that was filled in for the 1958 Expo and replaced with this decorated landscaping.